Six Simple Ways to Eat More Plants
- Look for a rainbow of colours at every meal. Seeing 2-3 different colours; yellows, oranges, purples, reds and most importantly, dark leafy greens will ensure that you are getting loads of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from your meals.
- Instead of over-using cheese and dairy products to get a source of protein in; try using more raw nuts and seeds making your own home-made trail mix. Be sure to include 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds, which packs around 15 grams of plant based protein! 1/4 cup serving of trail mix is recommended. OR you can try your hand at making some healthy bars and bites (like my almond bites)
- Switch up your daily milk to a milk alternative such as almond, cashew, hemp, rice or coconut milk. You can purchase all of these in stores, as nut milks have become readily available at most major grocery store chains. I recommend switching them up, once you finish one begin the other etc. Most of these yield 30% of calcium or more per serving. The easiest way to introduce these milks are in your smoothies, any recipes calling for milk and with your cereal.
- When preparing a family dinner for those who still enjoy meat as the main entree, serve yourself up a hefty helping of roasted vegetables, topped with some roasted red peppers, 1/4 cup of black beans, raw cashews and a little goat cheese (optional)
- You could also prepare yourself a leafy green salad that is either strictly vegetable based or a combination of veggies and grains like brown rice or quinoa topped with a similar toppings like mentioned above.
- Fall is almost here, and soups, vegetarian chili’s, stews, ratatouille and hearty pasta sauces are great additions to the kitchen. What better way to heat your soul, nourish your digestive system and increase your vegetable and protein intake than by loading up on your veggies, beans, lentils and a great source of complex carbs like kamut, spelt, quinoa or brown rice noodles to make a simple, quick and complete meal.
These suggestions are a great jumping off point for anyone who feels like they are fumbling with ideas and balancing out their meals properly or trying to figure out how to eat less meat with a family or spouse who loves it!
Want some new inspiration for you plant based dishes? Join me for my upcoming cooking classes in The Simplicity Kitchen!
Your Menu Includes
- Dandy-land Smoothie
- Glowing Skin Juice
- Rainbow Carrot Soup
- Fresh Fennel, Apple Citrus Salad
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Simplicious Living Bowl
- Banana Berry Perfection Muffins
For Your Body
- Deep Conditioning Hair Serum