Check out my spot last week on CHCH morning LIVE, where I was at Goodness Me! Natural Food Market, talking about Healthy Alternatives to Summer Treats.
Summer is here! Which also means staple summer treats are here too – popsicles and the distant ring of an ice cream truck. These treats do have their place, once and a while. But giving your kids these things everyday is not something you want to do as a parent. Why not?
1. They will become an EMOTIONAL MESS! We have all seen it, a total angel one minute, and completely unreasonable the next.
2. Their blood sugar levels are going to go up, and then of course its going to crash soon after.
3. Their immune system will become suppressed by the steady supply of sugar. Sugar actual slows down our white blood cells’s to a snail pace. Eating or drinking 100 grams (8 tbsp.) of sugar, the equivalent of about two cans of soda, can reduce the ability of WBC’s to kill germs by 40%. This starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for up to five hours.
4. Ice cream truck ice cream often contains A LOT of additives, such as hydrogenated oils (trans fat), food dyes and petroleum, which is a one key ingredient to turn ‘soft serve’ ice cream into that velvety texture
What I see all too often in my practice is that children come in with many signs of inflammation.
- Sinus congestion
- Tummy Upset
To name a few. These symptoms are often connected to high dairy consumption, and we all know that ice cream is the most popular treat in the summer time. We still want our kids to have fun, so what we want to do is replace these high sugar, dairy based treats with some healthier options. Try a different treat and see if that works better for your child. If your child has nut allergies, try something coconut based. If they don’t, you can even try a cashew based treat. These treats will be easier to digest and breakdown and they are STILL DELICIOUS!
1. Make your own popsicles – pick up some popsicle moulds and freeze some cold pressed juice or left over smoothies. Juice Matters is a great brand of cold pressed juice – look for one that has pineapple or mango, as kids tend to gravitate more toward these flavours
2. Coconut based ice cream sandwiches are out there – brands such as SO DELCIOUS, or Cocoonut Bliss
3. Buy ice cream cones and pack them with Coconut Bliss ice cream instead, you kid will enjoy this treat all the same without all the negative side effects afterwards.
Treat your kids right with snacks that not only taste good, but make them feel good too, so they can wake up every morning ready to take on another day of summer fun. Stay tuned for more tips on how to snack right this summer.
Dr. Sears, 4 habits that weaken the immune system, http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/family-nutrition/foods-to-boost-immunity/4-habits-weaken-immune-system, 07/19/15