We all walk past these rich-colored, massively long vegetables in the produce section of our grocery store and wonder…”what would I do with those beets?” and “how the heck do you fit them in one bag?” LOL
Cooking with and eating beets doesn’t have to be so intimidating and if you knew more about their health benefits, you may be more motivated to buy them on your next trip to the store (the beets pictured above are actually Candy striped beets, which has a great name when you are telling your kids what they are!)
The garden beet is rich in lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin C, and manganese, all of which have significant antioxidant levels. The antioxidants in beets are extremely beneficial for the eyes and health of our nerve tissues. They also contain great anti-inflammatory properties like betalains and betaine that give beets an extra victory lap for helping fight against cancer and heart disease.
Beets don’t stop there; they are also high in:
- Soluble fiber, a known cholesterol buster
- Folate, essential for normal tissue growth, protective against Alzheimer’s
- Boron, involved in the production of sex hormones
- Nitrate, which lowers blood pressure
- Iron, which combats anemia and fatigue
- Silica and calcium, which help to prevent osteoporosis
So what are you waiting for? Hit the store grab some beets and create a new delicious dish, like this one:
Roasted Candy Stripe Beet Salad
- 1 bag or bunch of Candy Striped Beets, washed, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 handfuls organic greens coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- ¼ – ½ cup goat cheese (optional)
- Avocado oil
(Makes 3/4 cups worth)
- 1/2 cup of extra-virigin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Dijon or whole mustard
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Arrange your beets on a stone ware bake pan, drizzle with avocado oil.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer to a medium salad bowl.
- Toss through with your greens, chives and goat cheese while still warm.
- Toss dressing ingredients into a mason jar, shake, and drizzle over top to your taste.